Friday, October 4, 2013

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

So, I've been watching Doctor Who (finally). I've finished up through season 3--I started with the newer stuff, so I think I got the 9th Doctor and Rose to start with. Do I really need to go into a series overview with this one? I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one on the planet who has not watched Doctor Who. The jist of the series is pretty simple: the Doctor travels through time and space frequently with a female companion (assistant?) saving humans from a variety of alien dangers. That's pretty much it, in a nutshell.

Now, I like the series. Really. I'm enjoying watching it. I'm not sure I'm going to join the throngs of raving Dr. Who fans though. While I will probably keep watching till the end of whatever's on Netflix and the idea behind the series is fascinating, I have trouble really getting attached to the Doctor himself. I maintained neutral feelings toward him for seasons 1 and 2. Maybe Rose brought out the best in him? Having finished season 3 (by the way, I liked Martha--way better than Rose), I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like the Doctor.

It's not the actor. David Tennant (and the guy before him, Chris Whoever--I can't spell his last name and I'm being too lazy today to go look it up) does just fine as the Doctor. I don't like the Doctor's personality. It just rubs me the wrong way. I especially don't like how he treats his companions. Yeah, it's super cool being able to travel around the universe and through time and all that, but he treats his companions like objects (or maybe pets is a better term) much of the time and like actual people only when it's convenient. I'm sure that's all because he's a Time Lord and that's what they're like. That may justify it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. My general dislike of the Doctor makes it difficult to really 100% engage with the series.

I don't regret watching Doctor Who. I now get a lot of the Doctor Who related stuff I find floating around the internet and at conventions. I wouldn't mind having a T.A.R.D.I.S. as long as it came sans the Doctor. =P I do also like seeing how the series interprets different times--as a historian this fascinates me. In fact, that is probably the one thing that keeps me coming back--to see where they're going next and what it will look like. Some of the odd cultural references tossed in for flavor are entertaining as well. Some of the dialogue can be quite funny. There are definitely series out there I've enjoyed more; on the other hand, there's a lot more that's much worse than this on television and Netflix. I won't rate it fantastic, but I'd still say it's pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment