Monday, April 25, 2011

What Would ____ Do?

The concept idea for this set came while driving up to Anime USA last fall with my husband and a couple of friends. We were brainstorming ideas for things I could make for Magfest, a gaming convention that takes place in early January. We spent most of the trip trying to come up with a variety of character types from a variety of different gaming platforms. I had decided from the beginning that there would be 12 characters in the set... Anyone familiar with my gallery will see a theme there. I can't honestly say where that came from but I like to do sets of 12.

Since I play primarily Play Station games personally, and older ones at that, coming up with characters for Nintendo and X-Box (in particular) were somewhat difficult. Coming up with some characters from newer games was also a challenge since I'm stuck in the gaming world of the mid to late 1990s. This is why I'm always posting that I'm open to suggestions, and why I listen to what everyone who stops by my art tables has to say. There's a lot of stuff out there that I'm not familiar with in both video games and anime. It's worth noting that I don't always follow everyone's advice, but most the time I'll give a series or game a chance. In most cases, I've been glad I did: I can thank con-goers who stopped to chat at my table for introducing me to both Soul Eater and Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) and a fellow artist for recommending Gurren Lagan.

So, the current What Would ____ Do? set includes: Black Mage, Etna, Felicia, GlaDOS, Kratos, Lara Croft, Leon, Mario, Master Chief, Sam & Max, Solid Snake, and Yuna. I'm considering adding 4 new ones for Animazement or Otakon, maybe the guy from Assassin's Creed or Megaman. I've considered Link, but I'm not sure I honestly want to draw him again--he's in the Nintendo Noir set and in the Anime Tarot set, plus I've made 4 cosplay versions of him and I've got a stand-alone print (o.O yes I do things that aren't part of sets every once in a while) with Link and Navi. To reiterate my point from above, I'm always looking for ideas and suggestions; feel free to comment or message me on Twitter or Etsy if you have any game characters you'd like to see in this set.

1 comment:

  1. You have done a brilliant job making sure that people understand where you are coming from. And let me tell you, I get it. Please post more updates to cure.
    Cash For Cars Logan
    All Car Removal

    ReplyDelete