Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What's up with Wednesday?

This is just a quick post to let everyone know what's been going on since I missed Monday's post. Monday was the big moving day. We got a call from the movers Sunday evening letting us know they would be at our house at 6:30 a.m. Monday morning. Of course we weren't ready. Long story short, we were up way too late trying to finish up. I got up at 5:00 to finish up last minute detailed. 6:30 came and went; no movers. 6:45 we get a call from them... It turns out that someone had mixed up the paperwork and had switched the move-to and move-from addresses. Although I feel bad for the poor movers who had an extra 2.5 hours to drive now both ways (they were starting out close to where we were moving from), we got a couple of extra, much-needed hours of sleep. After that, they came, they moved, and there was much rejoicing. In spite of the mix-up, they did an excellent job moving everything and were very polite.

So, most of the day was spent moving. We followed the movers up in the large van I was borrowing with a load of stuff (some for the house we were moving to, a lot for storage). Once the movers were finished and gone, we moved in the stuff from the van and attempted to unpack some and make things look somewhat decent. We called it quits earlier than we'd have liked primarily from lack of sleep. We made it back to Misenheimer, and pretty much fell asleep the moment we walked in the door. Proof as to how exhausted I was: we were sleeping on an air mattress since, of course, all of our furniture was now at the other house; I slept for 10 hours straight.

Tuesday, we spent cleaning the Misenheimer house--well mostly my husband cleaned the house. I spent a large chunk of the day sorting and trying to finish up some of what I had left to work on for Otakon. That continued today. Needless to say, I didn't get a fraction of what I'd originally planned to get done for this convention. I'd amended the original plan to maybe just get a bunch of charms done. That didn't get completely finished either. I did manage to get badges and bookmarks I had left to laminate from the end of the Anime Tarot set finished, and I did get a decent number of charms finished. So, there will be some new stuff for people who saw my table at other conventions last year--not as much as I wanted, but all things considered, I'm just happy to have something new prepared.

I'm really excited, and I can't wait for the convention. I haven't been to Otakon since 2002; I'm sure there's a lot that's changed. I'm a little nervous because I've never tried running a table in AA at a convention even close to this size. I'm determined to have fun though. Right now, I'm borrowing my in-law's computer--we're staying here for the night and dropping off Logan for the weekend. Tomorrow, we'll be heading back to Misenheimer briefly to pick up our bags for Otakon and our cats. We'll be dropping the cats off at the "new" house (Kisa will be going to a kitten-sitter). Then, we'll be driving up to northern Virginia where we'll spend the night at my aunt's house--I think by the time we reach that point we're going to be ready to pass out. Friday morning we'll go on to Baltimore. I have my doubts about posting a blog from my phone on Friday. I will be posting photos on my Tumblr once I get to the convention: No promises about Friday, but I'll definitely be posting on the Otakon experience on Monday.

1 comment: