Thursday, April 23, 2015

Magic Boys, Wombats, and the Power of Love, Oh My.

My husband and I try to do "date nights" every week. One week we decided to turn on Crunchy Roll and watch the first episode of about a half dozen animes we had never seen before. These included Sword Art Online 2, Kill La Kill, and Cute High Earth Defense Club Love

. There were others. I don't remember their titles (clearly did not make an impression on me). This blog is going to be devoted to the last of the three listed series. I really had no idea what to expect from this, although I had high hopes that it would be silly because it was one of those nights after a long day and a long week, and I really needed a laugh.

Did it live up to that hope. Yes. Yes it did. Magnificently. I saw a lot of references to Sailor Moon--this may or may not have been intentional. The series starts with a group of boys, most of whom are lazy students who are looking for an easy way to get extracurricular credit for doing nothing. They encounter a pink wombat who engages them, along with a hyperactive boy who loves wombats, to become Battle Lovers and fight the forces of hate.

Whether it was intended to be funny or not, I found the series to be hilarious. I could not take this seriously even if I tried (and needless to say, I was not interested in taking it seriously when I watched it). It's worth a watch--at least one episode. Will I watch more than that? I don't know. I haven't yet. I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment