Friday, August 24, 2012

Chi: Addictively Cute

This week's review... you know, when I started this blog, I thought I'd maybe write the occasional review; I never intended them to become weekly. I planned on writing reviews after I watched, read, or played something I felt like sharing about. The weird thing is, I really have been watching this much anime lately. It really isn't normal for me. There will come a point--probably in the next month or so where I will catch up with all the stuff I have to review and I can go back to my usual unplanned randomness.

XD Alright, I'm finished with that tangent. Back to today's topic.


This week's review is about an anime called Chi's Sweet Home. I found this anime randomly poking around Crunchyroll while feeding Sophie one afternoon. The first thing to note about the episodes is that they are short. Very short. Each one is 2:54, so less than 3 minutes. There are a little over 100 episodes, and although that sounds like a lot, that's only a little over 5 hours. To put that in perspective, that's only about 60% of the length of most 26-episode series (don't quote me on that math; it's very approximate. =P).

The second thing to note about Chi's Sweet Home is that's cute, almost sickeningly so. Each 3 minute episodes follows a small segment of the life a a little gray kitten, Chi. The episodes are roughly sequential. Things that happen in one episode will sometimes be referenced in later episodes, but the connections are loose. I wouldn't say there is much of an overarching plot, so you could really pick the series up at any episode. The story, such as it is, is told from Chi's perspective, which means the series is characterized by short, fairly spastic episodes filled with an obscene amount cuteness. You'd think I would have found this irritating. Far from it. I have found this show strangely addictive. I turn it on, and it's like I can't stop clicking "next" at the end of each episode. My kids and I have worked through about 85 episodes as of this afternoon. @_@ I find Chi funny--maybe because she reminds me of a certain gray kitten (well not kitten anymore) we have named Kisa. Maybe it's just because I'm a cat owner, and at some point in time, one of our cats has behaved much like Chi does. In any case, if you're ever looking for something light-hearted and can handle the cute-factor, then this would be a good series to pick up. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment