Monday, September 25, 2017

Brotherhood Ep 1

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is one of my favorite series of all times. For me, it is amazingly rich in character and story. So, I've been itching for an excuse to re-watch it and really sit down and examine it in detail. I also am blanking on what to write for my blog for tomorrow (today technically since it's past midnight), so I'm going to start a series devoted to FMAB, which will probably be quite long--or not if I get distracted. Anyways, there will be spoilers because it's hard to talk about anything in any real detail and not have spoilers. Fair warning. So, onwards to Episode 1:

Episode 1 - The Full Metal Alchemist

The first episode of a series is undeniably important. It's the hook. It has to be able to draw viewers in so that they keep watching. I believe this episode does that quite well.

I usually associated this with Armstrong in the original
FMA anime. I like this expansion of Ed's character.
First of all it starts in the middle rather the beginning. Edward is already a State Alchemist. They are already going full force on their goal of getting their bodies back. Although this does little to establish motivation, I don't think it is needed at this stage in the series. It's more important to draw interest with intriguing plot and character elements rather than explain everything from the beginning. Leave questions. It's a good thing. At least in my opinion.

Second, the Elric's backstory does not hijack the episode. We do get a flashback, but it's only a brief part of the story. It's hardly the whole story, and it's not so much that it distracts from current events within the episode. Again, don't give us everything all at once.

I like how the series introduces characters in this episode. It uses characters talking about other characters mixed with scene changes. For example before the opening credits, we see an unnamed alchemist drawing a transmutation circle in the alley. No other info. The scene changes, and we go to Mustang and the Furor discussing "The Freezing Alchemist"--clearly the guy we just saw in the alley. Rough hierarchy between Mustang and the Furor is established. The topic shifts to Edward Elric, using the titles and nicknames commonly used to reference him. Then scene changes to the Elric brothers.

I appreciate how this episode uses action to demonstrate what characters can do: for instance using a chase to show how the Freezing Alchemist uses his powers rather than just going over them in the briefing earlier in the episode.

On the surface, this episode appears to be filler--fun and full of action, but still filler. It also brings in fun characters like Maes Hughes and Armstrong earlier in the series rather than waiting. It's a strong opening episode. It sets the tone for the rest of the series. It establishes that we can expect characters other than the Elrics to play stronger roles--this is one of my favorite things about this series. It also sets up the Elrics' goals, Mustang's ambition, Edward's lack of interest in his actual job, and sows seeds that suggest that there is some kind of general discontent with the current government. There is a bit of seriousness--combat scenes and the plot of the episode itself. It is balanced with some comedic elements--Edward and Armstrong both modify their attacks in funny ways, Armstrong loses his shirt on at least 2 occasions during the episode, and the general shenanigans of Hughes. I like series like this. I like to laugh, but I also appreciate good strong characters and an engaging plot.

And, because I can, here's some more screenshots of things I like.





I'm sure you can tell that Armstrong is one of my favorite characters. XD Interestingly, Armstrong reminds me of my great uncle. He was tall, very muscly, bald, had a blond mustache, talked about family tradition, and held the same rank in the military during World War II. Sadly he passed away in the late 1990s, but this connection probably contributes significantly to my love of this character.

Anyways... I don't know where I'm going with this. I'd like to go through the entire series, but I don't know how often I'll post about it. I'd like to say I have a more coherent direction or plan, but no, it's probably just going to be me rambling about things I like or things I notice. XD


No comments:

Post a Comment